New Protocols, Same Needs
So much has changed in our country over the past few months, but one thing that hasn’t is the need for blood. The American Red Cross needs you now more than ever. Epworth is hosting a blood drive on Saturday, August 22nd from 9am to 2pm in the gym. The Red Cross has established guidelines and protocols for blood donation in keeping with the guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) for social distancing. This includes:
- Donor areas and waiting areas set up to allow for 6 feet of social distancing. Only donors will be permitted at the blood drive. No guests will be permitted.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at check-in, health history, and refreshment areas.
- The temperatures of staff, volunteers, and donors will be checked before entering the drive. Anyone with a temperature greater than 99.5F will not be able to donate or volunteer.
- Everyone – staff, volunteers, and donors – will be required to wear masks or face coverings. Disposable coverings will be available at the drive, or you may bring your own.
- Donor beds will be disinfected between donors; common areas at the blood drive will also be disinfected.
- For the wellness and safety of all involved, at this time, walk-in donors will not be permitted. A time to donate must be scheduled.
- Donor education materials have been expanded to include information on COVID-19. All donors will be required to read them.
The American Red Cross will do everything possible to keep staff, volunteers, and donors well so that then can continue giving the gift of life to those who need it. For more information about COVID-19 protocols for blood donation, visit redcrossblood.org. You can also go to the website to register to donate at Epworth’s blood drive on August 22nd, or you can contact Gordy Krueger below to schedule your appointment.