The history of Epworth United Methodist Church dates back to 1894, when Epworth Methodist Episcopal Church was established.
May 24, 1894. Epworth M.E. Church was officially established, with 163 charter members. It was to serve the growing population in the northwestern part of the city (now the Old West End).
December 30, 1894. The first building, a frame building located on Scottwood Ave., was dedicated.
September 1908. As the congregation grew, funds were raised to build a new, larger building. Located at the southeastern corner of Parkwood Ave. and Delaware Ave., the building originally contained only an auditorium, Sunday School rooms, a kitchen and dining room.
January 1, 1922. A major addition almost doubling the size, including a sanctuary and other facilities, was dedicated.
1939. Became Epworth Methodist Church as the denomination changed its name.
September 7, 1958. An arson fire severely damaged the church building, but not a single service was missed. After two Sundays in other locations, services were held at DeVeaux School on Sylvania Ave. for the next three years. The old property was sold to what was then Mary Manse College, which was adjacent, and remodeled into its library.
October 15, 1961. The dedication service of the new building at Valleyview Drive and Central Ave. was held. The final mortgage was burned May 28, 1978, and the building was consecrated.
1968. Became Epworth United Methodist Church as the denomination changed its name with the merger of the Evangelical United Brethren Church.
May 24, 1994. Epworth celebrated its Centennial.
1994. A major addition was completed, including the Family Life Center, new offices and classrooms.
2003. The chancel area of the sanctuary was significantly remodeled and other improvements were made to the space.
In our history, spanning over 100 years, we have been served by over twenty pastors:
|Albert E. Smith||1894-1895|
|Fletcher L. Wharton||1895-1898|
|Elmer G. McGammon||1898-1902|
|Merrick E. Ketcham||1902-1904|
|William B. Armington||1904-1909|
|John H. Bickford||1909-1910|
|John B. Ascham||1910-1916|
|Stephan K. Mahon||1916-1930|
|J. Ira Jones||1931-1936|
|Robert O. McClure||1936-1938|
|Sylvester M. Ingmire||1938-1940|
|Russell J. Humbert||1940-1944|
|Sidney A. Mayer||1944-1952|
|Charles M. Coulter||1952-1956|
|Wheaton P. Webb||1956-1964|
|Paul D. Tropf||1964-1978|
|Charles A. Shook||1978-1986|
|Brooks W. Heck||1979-1983|
|William G. Patterson||1986-1991|
|Barry W. DeShetler||1991-2001|
|Robert H. Ball||2001-2006|
|Robert L. Thomas||2006-2014|
Epworth has also been blessed by those serving by appointment as Associate Pastors or by appointment or contract in other pastoral positions.
|George M. Myers, Jr.||1966-|
|Waller B. Wiser||1983-1988|
|David W. David||1988-1996|
|Ken D. Streitenberger||1996-2009|
|Amy M. Wertz||1999-2003|